Founder and Lead Attorney
Rebecca Rangel, Founder and Lead Attorney at Rangel Legal is a U.S. attorney, born and raised in Illinois, but who has lived, worked and studied in Ecuador. Having practiced law for over 7 years at firms in Chicago and Ecuador, she has unique knowledge of both the legal system in the U.S.A. and in Ecuador. Rebecca’s insight and experience allow her to help clients understand the complicated cross-border and sometimes counter-intuitive differences between legal systems and cultures.
Rebecca is Of Counsel at Paz Horowitz Abogados and serves as Co-Chair of the Quito-Guayaquil International City Chapter of the American Bar Association. Her law practice focuses on assisting individuals migrating to the U.S.A.
She is bilingual in English and Spanish and represents individuals, families and business on inbound U.S. immigration, nationality and visa matters. She also guides non-Ecuadorians through legal processes related to living, working or investing in Ecuador. In her capacity as foreign legal counsel and now as, teaming with attorneys licensed in Ecuador, she assists many expats and professionals during the process of obtaining permanent residency in Ecuador.Rebecca also provides freelance attorney services to law firms in the U.S.A. She is familiar with all phases of litigation and has experience drafting briefs, motions, memorandums of law, preparing for trial and negotiating settlement agreements. Rebecca conducts efficient and comprehensive research for law offices and solo practitioners; she drafts organized and easy to understand legal documents in a variety of practice areas.
- U.S. Immigration, nationalization and visas
- Mediation and dispute resolution
- Civil litigation (Illinois)
- Domestic relations, family and children (Illinois)
- Cross-border issues
- 2008: Illinois, U.S.A.
- 2008: Chicago-Kent College of Law, Juris Doctor, Certificate in Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution*
- 2005: University of Alabama, Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- 2003: University of Illinois, Bachelor of Arts in History and Spanish
- 2014 – present: Rangel Legal, Founder and Lead Attorney
- Present: Of Counsel, Paz Horowitz Abogados (Quito)
- 2012-2014: Paz Horowitz Robalino Garcés, Foreign Associate (Quito)
- 2008-2012: Rangel, Rangel & Associates (Chicago)
- 2007: The Immigration Clinic at the Law Offices of Chicago-Kent College of Law
- 2006: Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, Domestic Relations Division
- 2008-2010: Center for Conflict Resolution, Certified Volunteer Mediator*
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- 2013-2014: Chambers Global, USA and Ecuador
- 2007: Cali Excellence in Education, Highest Grade in Immigration Law and Policy Course, Chicago Kent College of Law
- Co-Chair of the Quito-Guayaquil International City Chapter of the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Native English speaker
- Fluent in professional Spanish
* The Supreme Court of Illinois does not recognize certifications of specialties in the practice of law. This certificate is not a requirement to practice law in Illinois.